I love finding affordable pieces to incorporate into my outfits, especially for the more trendy items of the season. One of the main concerns people commonly have about inexpensive clothes and jewelry is quality. Although the quality of bargain pieces might not be as good as that of designer products, there are definitely ways to help them last longer.
I have clothes from Forever 21, H&M, and Charlotte Russe that I’ve had for years, and I still wear them frequently. They have held up so well over the years, and although they don’t look brand new, they still look great.
I mainly focus on how I launder my clothes when I want to maintain their appearance and to increase their wear.
- If I am using a washing machine, I prefer the cold water setting to maintain color vibrancy and to help them keep their shape.
- I also hang my clothes to dry on laundry racks to prevent the shrinking and pilling that can occur when clothes are dried in a dryer.
- For delicate pieces, such as those with beads, sequins, or extra straps that can easily get destroyed in the washing machine, I hand wash them in cold water.
I realize that hand washing clothes can be a bit of a chore, but it really makes such a difference in how long you can continue wearing that item. I still have a number of shirts in my closet that I cannot wear anymore because they have been ruined by the washing machine, for instance the beading has fallen off or the design was prone to getting caught and torn.
I also consider the style and the material when I decide between hanging my clothes in the closet and keeping them in a dresser. For clothes that wrinkle easily or have a cut that can get ruined by folding, I prefer to hang them in my closet. I usually keep my casual shirts and bottoms that are made with cotton or similar materials in my dresser.
Most of my favorite jewelry pieces are from budget-friendly places. I remember how upset I used to get when my favorite ring or necklace would turn black or make my skin green. Now, I am pretty vigilant about taking care of my jewelry to prevent those situations from happening again.
- I rub down all of my pieces, including earrings, after wear with a soft jewelry polishing cloth to remove any sweat or debris.
- I also remove all of my rings prior to washing my hands and all of my jewelry before showering.
- I store my bracelets and rings in a jewelry box with silica gel packets to decrease moisture.
I hope you find some of my tips and tricks helpful and that they work for you too! I would love to know if you liked these ideas, so leave a comment down below. I would also love to hear about your own tricks for maintaining your affordable pieces!